The Genetic Counseling Office at the Saitama Medical Center is a new patient counseling room which opened in March 2018. The Genetic Counseling Office was established with the aim of contributing to the improvement of the quality of medical service, education and research in our hospital, and to support hereditary diseases including genetic counseling and genetic screening (genetic testing), abiding by the Japanese Association of Medical Sciences guidelines, "Guidelines for genetic testing and diagnosis in healthcare," based on accurate genetic information and science, with sufficient consideration for the ethical, legal and social issues that come with treatment of clinical genetic diseases that is necessary for a patient's medical care.
Patient care at our department
Regarding the medical services at the counseling office
- Genetic counseling for patients and their families related to hereditary diseases
- Treatment of hereditary diseases
- Providing information related to diagnosis and treatment of hereditary diseases
- Clinical education and research and educational activities related to hereditary diseases
- Providing information related to private services such as support organizations
- Other, clinical genetic medicine
Main diseases and target symptoms
We plan to take care of mainly three major hereditary diseases in the counseling office.
- 1) Hereditary tumor counseling
- Lynch syndrome, Familial colorectal adenomas (polyposis), Hereditary breast cancer and ovarian cancer syndrome, Cowden disease, Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, Li-Fraumeni syndrome, etc.
- 2) Prenatal diagnosis
- Quattro test, Amniotic fluid chromosome test, Amniotic fluid gene test, Precision fetal ultrasound test
Recurrence of fetal morphology abnormalities, fetal congenital diseases, and diseases of prior child (such as Down syndrome, muscular dystrophy, osteogenesis deficiency, etc.) in the next child
Support for infertility (second opinion on pre-implantation diagnosis for marital chromosome abnormalities)
- 3) Consultation on hereditary intractable diseases (cooperation with the Intractable Disease Counseling Office)
For those who wish to consult
- Genetic consultation is by appointment only.
- Since each clinical department supports it,we will handle it.
|Obstetrics and Gynecology||Number of genetic counseling|
|Maternal serum quad screen||19|
|Chorionic villus sampling||5|
|Reproductive medicine||35||Parental karyotype test||35|
|Oncology||-|| BRCA1/2 test||21|
|Breast care||Number of genetic counseling|
|Breast cancer panel test||2|
|Clinical genetics||Number of genetic counseling|